I thought this was deemed a license violation by Apple when Workstation 8 came out and said you could run Lion on it, but HP posted this article today….
VMware ESXi 5.x – Installation Instructions to Install Mac OS X 10.7 on ESXi 5.x
User can install the OS X 10.7 in a virtual machine using the installation media with the help of below instructions.
Before user begins, verify that the following tasks are complete:
Download Install Mac OS X Lion.app from the App Store.
Obtain the necessary product keys for installation in a virtual machine.
User must have an Apple-labeled computer to install OS X 10.7 in a virtual machine.
Virtual machine 2GB or more of RAM.
- Create a new virtual machine and select the Apple Mac OS X 10.7 option. If the Apple Mac OS X 10.7 option is not available, select the Apple Mac OS X 10.6 option instead.
- Use the virtual machine CD/DVD Drive for installation.
- To connect the CD/DVD Drive to a datastore ISO image file, complete the following steps:
Add the Install Mac OS X Lion.app to a datastore that the virtual machine can access.
Set the CD/DVD Drive to connect to the Install Mac OS X Lion.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg image file.
- If the CD/DVD Drive is set as a client type device, complete the following steps:
Copy Install Mac OS X Lion.app to a Mac OS X physical machine.
Convert the .dmg image file to an .iso image file.
hdiutil convert “Install Mac OS X Lion.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg” -format UDTO -o “Install Mac OS X Lion.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.iso”
Copy the Install Mac OS X Lion.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.iso image file from the Mac OS X physical machine to the local machine.
Set the CD/DVD Drive to connect to the InstallESD.iso image file on the local machine.
- Power on the virtual machine.
- Follow the prompts until users are prompted to select the hard disk to install OS X 10.7.
- Select the hard disk and follow the prompts to complete the installation.
- (Optional) If users do not find a hard disk, select Utilities > Disk Utility .
In the left hand pane, select VMware Virtual Disk Media .
Select the Erase tab and confirm that the Format drop-down menu includes the file system type and Name.
Select Erase and wait for the process to complete.
Exit the Disk Utility application.
Select the hard disk that was erased.
Click Install and follow the prompts to complete the installation.
- Install VMware Tools.